Friday, September 13, 2013

How PR is related to Weight Loss (My Opinions)

It seems that life has just been zooming by. I haven't had nearly as much time as I would like to write but it seems that I have more than enough time to spend on school work (but, this is college life and that too will come to a close in 8 months!).

If you follow me on twitter, you will notice that my tweets have changed from being more weight loss related to focusing on Public Relations; this change will only be in effect until December (the end of the semester). My twitter handle has also changed but I am still the same person!

I am in the process of trying to figure out how to indicate what the tweet pertains to so you don't have to read any PR related stuff if you don't want to. I am thinking about including a 'WL' to indicate that the tweet will actually pertain to weight loss since most of my PR tweets are being re-tweeted (RT).

It hit me earlier this week that PR and weight loss share some of the same concepts. I actually sat down and thought about three of my top reasons why the two are similar; they are featured below.

PR is all about relationships, but so is weight loss: This is something that I have heard since the beginning of my public relations classes, relationships are key. At the same time, I have noticed that when I have some one to workout with or talk about weight loss with, I tend to lose weight. Essentially there is the potential to form relationships with those that I am working out with. In both cases, forming relationships are beneficial.

Introverts can succeed at PR and they can succeed at weight loss. I read an interesting article this week describing ways that introverts can succeed at PR  but the same is true for introverts who are in the process of losing weight. You don't have to be the most outspoken person in your gym class or in your running group; you just have to be dedicated. If I had to, I would described myself as an introvert (as would anyone who knows me). I do enjoy talking, I especially like talking with others, but I am not necessarily the first person to speak up. The same goes with weight loss. I love the idea of working out with others, but I normally am not the person to go out and form the group.

When it comes to PR, if you give a little you don't get much out of it, but if you give a lot, the possibilities are endless. The same goes with weight loss. If you sit around hoping the weight will fall off, it won't. On the other hand, if you make the necessary changes, the ball will get moving in the right direction.

These are just a few of the reasons why I see PR and Weight Loss sharing some of the same concepts. Of course, there will be differences, but I like to focus on the similarities! Bear with me this semester when it comes to PR and weight loss, I am pretty sure the madness will calm down eventually!


No comments:

Post a Comment