Monday, January 14, 2013

Hitting the Gym

I have never liked to break a sweat, so I have always avoided gyms. When I was a senior in high school (about to start my fourth year of varsity softball) a friend and I went to our local gym to get our bodies re-conditioned. That lasted all of about a month.

I made a promise to myself that when I went off to college for my freshman year, I would hit the gym (I wanted to avoid the dreaded "Freshman 15" -- I instead was the Freshman 7). Coincidentally, my dorm was about 100 feet from the entrance of the gym. Talk about a reality check. Its like they knew exactly where to place me. During my freshman year I visited the gym a total of 3 times (twice to complete an assignment for my power walking class and once to get an amazingly delicious smoothie, because the other smoothie location had closed for the day).

I only utilized what I paid for 3 times in a year. This year was different. As a student, you receive a gym membership, which is included in your school fees. I was tired of paying for something that I wasn't using, so today (the first day of spring semester) I decided to hit the gym -- which coincidentally is 100 feet from my parking deck.

After getting my fingerprint scanned (for access to the gym) I was off to find a machine that I knew I could operate. I started on the elliptical and boy can I say my thighs were burning after 10 minutes. Trying to make the most of my introductory trip to the gym I headed over to the stationary bikes and after 20 minutes of moderate activity, I "biked" a distance of 4.24 miles. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Today won't be my only trip to the gym this semester, I hope to make it to my college gym at least once a week and maybe join a gym closer to home. I am not sure how my relationship will work out with the gym, but so far it is off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment