Saturday, January 19, 2013

Joining a Gym?

In a previous post I mentioned how I HATED to break a sweat when working out. Therefore, I didn't like working out. Recently that has changed. I have discovered that I LOVE going to the gym now and even consider joining one outside of the one at my college.

Instead of driving 35 minutes to the gym, I can drive about 18 minutes to the gym that I am considering joining. Of course, I can use the gym at my college for free (included in tuition and fees) or I can pay to use the more local gym. As usual there are a set of pros and cons of joining a gym outside of school, I decided to sit down and make a list of those.

Cons

  • Enrollment fee
  • Monthly dues
  • Smaller (than the one on my college campus)

Pros
  • Ability to be one of about 300 founding members
  • One time enrollment with no annual fees
  • Discount on all goods and services
  • Fixed rate for life of gym membership
  • Shorter distance
  • Personalized training
  • Plans for expansion (the gym that is, not my body) - as a side note -- the plans for expansion or phenomenal and are set to include group rooms, pools, spas and a sauna
  • Quiet (meaning not a lot of people at a time) 

Overall, there are more pros than cons when it comes to joining a separate gym. For me the pros outweigh the cons on many levels because I am still paying for the gym at my school each semester and what happens when I graduate? I don't have free access to the gym, I would have to pay $240 (if joining the alumni association) or $335 (if I choose to not join the alumni association) just to continue going there.

At least with this "possible" gym, which is right around the corner, I don't have to worry about that. I simply enroll as a founding member (as long as there are still spots left) and pay a monthly fee and that's it. I can go to the gym as often as I want, for as long as I want and be closer to home.

 Yet, after I have convinced myself that I think this is the best choice, the question still hangs; will I join this gym after all? 

No comments:

Post a Comment