Wednesday, January 23, 2013

In-depth Review of Lose It! App and Web

Lose It! has been the best part of my weight loss journey (and no, there is no compensation for what I am about to tell and yes it may be repetitive of a previous post). I first started using Lose It! in January 2012. When I started using it, it was new to me and I didn't know what to expect. I created my profile online and downloaded the app for my phone.

I went through all of the step of creating a profile; name, age, height, current weight, goal weight, etc., before I was able to determine how much weight I wanted to lose on a weekly basis. I figured, "Hey, let's do it - lose the most a week that I can", the highest option was a loss of 2 pounds per week, which was fine with me.

I was given my calorie budget for the day and stuck to it for 3 months, in those 3 months I lost 28 pounds; a lot of those pounds resulted from me watching what I was eating and a few of those came from exercise. It wasn't until I stopped using Lose It!, that the pounds came back (yes, multiple pounds -- 30 of them). They came back because I wasn't ready to give up Lose It!, I realized that was my main problem.

Fast forward to this month, January 2013, I started Lose It! again (I actually created a new profile in November 2012, but didn't want to start a new program until the new year). So far, in the three weeks that I have been using Lose It!, I have lost 6 pounds -- that's two pounds a week!!

When you use the Lost It! app, you see something that looks like this, notice the 5 options on the top row. The first is my day, my day shows a linear graph of the calories that you have consumed and that you have burned, this helps you know how many more calories you can consume during the day.

The next section is the log, which is provided in the picture; this is my log for today (so far, the dinner portion isn't finished yet). As you can tell the log shows your budget, food calories consumed, exercise, net (average of calories consumed and those burnt) and how many calories you are under (in the green) or over (would be red).


There is also a motivation section (which shows what you would see on the web based version of Lose It!), a goals section - which shows your goal weight, how many pounds you plan to lose a week and your daily calorie budget plus a graph showing your weight loss (or weight gain if there was any). The more section provides additional information for your benefit. 

I am still able to eat the foods that I like, like today I just had to have some peanut m&m's (about 8 of them).  The more calories I burn the better I feel, that way  I don't feel bad about eating those 8 m&m's. 

The more weight you lose, the less calories you are allowed for the day, therefore, when I continue to lose weight and my calories go down, I will cut out more carbs. 

The best thing about the app and the web versions of Lose It! is the fact that they sync together.

This is an example of my Lose It! home page which displays the same thing that I see on my phone.
The web version also features a community section, a challenges section (where you can see what challenges are out there and join them), a reports page for the day, week, etc., forums  settings and your connected apps/devices. 

I cannot begin to stress how amazing this site is and how it makes you aware of the foods you are eating, the calories you are bringing into your body and the calories that you are burning. This has worked wonderfully for me in the past and I know that it will continue to work for me in the future, it actually makes calorie counting fun and easy. Overall, this is a wonderful program that is definitely worth using. 

No comments:

Post a Comment