Tuesday, February 5, 2013

In a Rut (and some other random stuff)

I am officially in a rut and have no idea what to do about it. Unfortunately for me, I am in a rut both mentally and physically.

Mentally I am in a rut because it seems that all of my professors get together at a small gathering at night to have everything due around the same time. When all of my work is due around the same time, I find it hard to manage the time. If I starting working at 8 a.m., how long do I spend on this assignment, if I send too long I don't have time to work on another assignment, but if I don't spend enough time, I won't understand the concept. Yes, this is a personal problem and a big one. If I don't get a morning workout on Monday, Wednesday or Friday then I am lethargic the rest of the day and get absolutely no work done.

Physically I am in a rut because I am pressed for time (goes back to the professors getting together and making everything due at the same time which equals more work for me) and to add to that, this 30DS (although I have only done 2 days of it and not even 2 full days) is not impressing me as much as I would like it to. I don't know what I am doing wrong when it comes to this 30DS, but it just isn't kicking my butt like I want it to. I get bored no sooner than the DVD gets going.

On the other hand, this is where a lot of indecisiveness comes in, I love Zumba. Therefore, I think I am going to amend Zumba and make it into my own 30DS. Zumba has different levels, similar to the levels featured on 30DS, they go from easy to hard. In addition to this, I will be using wrist and ankles weights (I am not even sure that is what they are called, but they wrap around your wrists and your ankles).

While this is not the same thing as 30DS, I sweat more and have more fun doing Zumba. I will still be going to the gym on Wednesdays and Fridays and if I can get my lazy self out of the bed on Monday mornings, I will be incorporating Mondays into the mix. I will still be working out at home on Tuesdays and Thursdays because they are my busiest days.

In a earlier post, I mentioned that I was going to take it easy on the carbs and I have. Since my last weigh in, I have consumed less carbs than I normally would if I was trying to get closer to my allotted calories. I have never been much of a soda drinker (especially in recent years) unless I was eating something that a cold soda complimented perfectly. Lately I have been drinking a soda whenever I have a taste for one. This wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have 2 new 12 packs at home when I started this journey. Now, thank goodness, I am down to about 8 sodas. After these are gone I will keep diet sodas on hand, for those low calorie, same great taste needs.

I also have this thing for ice cream, especially mint chocolate chip (or mint fudge brownie , happy to say, I have not purchased my mini Edy's container (only 190 calories, look at me -- only 190 calories, that's a nice delicious smoothie I could be drinking) in a week. Instead I took a nice trip to Sweet Frog (yes they have delicious low calorie options) on Saturday and enjoyed my frozen yogurt.

When it comes to exercise, I have found that I tend to lose weight when I drink a Naked smoothie (never all at one time, maybe 8 ounces or so) before working out instead of eating a full breakfast (that was my problem last week when I gained those ounces, I was eating before going to the gym).

I have also decided to get a heart rate monitor, and guess what, it will be a Polar one (ahhh, I am so excited). I am not knocking New Balance or anything (after all they have some wonderful shoes, especially those 574s that bring me back to my childhood, oh how I miss those days), but I heard more great reviews about Polar (on Instagram and from a wonderful follower, Miss Ashley -- thanks for the advice!!) and I felt that I would get my money's worth out of that particular HRM.

I think this wraps up everything that was on my mind for today, thanks for reading and stay motivated on your journey!!

P.S. -- go ahead and click those follow buttons on the right, yes the ones for Twitter and Instagram, I know you want to! and if you aren't following this blog, what are you waiting on? :) (that should be a smiley face but I am not sure if it will turn itself right side up).

2 comments:

  1. So glad to read you are going with a Polar! It is fabulous and you will totally enjoy it. The best part is that they come in so many different colors! Mine is pink.

    As for college work being due at the same time, I am in the same boat as you. Currently, I am taking 2 graduate college classes on Monday and Tuesday. Well, when work is due for my Monday class, it is also due the same week for Tuesday. I am finding that it is unavoidable unless you have the same professor for both classes like I did last semester, then it is manageable.

    Now is as difficult a time as any with trying to lose weight and also taking college classes. You are under immense stress and pressure and then juggling weight loss into the mix is insane. I enjoy my summer/winter breaks because I am hardcore with working out and make my focus what I am eating and tracking everything.

    I am finding that exercise is truly my stress reliever. Monday and Tuesday I teach, tutor and then go to college classes. So I am out of the house from 7:30 am- 8:30pm. Wednesday and Thursday I teach, stay after school until 4 pm, have a bit of down time at home, then go to Zumba for an hour. These are also the days when I make my meals for the upcoming week. Friday I teach and then do nothing. The weekends I reserve for catching up on lost sleep, doing lesson plans and other household chores that need to get done.

    I guess what I am trying to say is that if you want to lose the weight bad enough, you will find a way to fit everything in that you need to. Remember that this is only temporary, while I know it is the beginning of February, May will come right around and hit you if you are not paying enough attention. You can do a lot in the next coming months or you can choose to let yourself go or realize you are worth it. Keep doing what you are doing. Sometimes the scale may not agree with you and that is okay, we have those days, but do not lose momentum. You are at a great point to really start living your life and getting yourself in shape.

    My friend told me something important. She said that my body has to take me through the rest of my life. She said not to let myself go and to really start taking care of myself because if not, you are looking at a bleak future.

    Keep your head up, it will get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @MissAshley, thanks so much for the encouraging words and I do believe that I will enjoy the Polar HRM (once I get it). Balancing college and living a healthier life is definitely a challenge, but worth it and manageable in the long run. My best friend is the only person I know that can get up at 6AM (if not before) and stay awake until well past 11PM (when I am knocked out and fast asleep) just to work on her school work, and she does that everyday, just to stay on top. I like what your friend told you, she is right, our bodies have to take us through life and I know I want to be living for a long time so I have to take care of my body now. It's glad to know that there are others who see exercise as a way to relieve stress, when I do Zumba, it's like I am dancing all my stress and frustrations of the day away.

    ReplyDelete