Friday, February 1, 2013

January Recap

As January came to a close yesterday, I wanted to take time and reflect on what has and what has not changed for me since I started this journey on January 2.

What has changed:

  • I feel a lot better about myself. I have more energy, my complexion is a  lot clearer (I suffer from melasma in certain areas of my face and I have noticed that it is starting to clear itself up). 
  • I LOVE to go to the gym. That is hard for me to say because I don't like to sweat (that much), but when I get into that gym, I just feel a surge of energy run through my body and I cannot wait to start sweating on the treadmill. I push myself harder on the treadmill so I can sweat more, because guess what, when sweat is rolling off my body (as nasty as that may or may not sound) that is when I feel the best because I am doing some, I am moving, I am making a change for the better.
  • I speak more in my college classes. I am not sure if this is psychological or not but for past semesters I would rarely speak in class because I didn't want to draw attention to myself, but now that I know I am making a change and my body will soon reflect that, my confidence level is starting to go up.
  • I take the long way (and yes this is the long way of telling this story too). I park at the end of the parking deck, walk to class (which is about three or four city blocks -- never sure how to measure those, lets just say I have to cross through three intersections), eat lunch, take my lunch box (an insulated Rachel Ray one which seems to be doing just fine) back to the car then go back through those three intersections to another class, then return to the area the parking deck is in for yet another class all before returning to the car. In the end, I have racked up over 5,000 steps which is my daily goal. I am not out of breath from walking yet feel excited to take that trip. 
What hasn't changed:
  • For some reason as of the last week or two, I have a strange obsession for anything sweet. I love fiber one brownies but lately I have had the taste for mint chocolate chip ice cream. Thanks to Edy's ice cream, they make small containers under 200 calories which have been my guilty pleasure. 
  • I seem to be in a rut when it comes to different foods to eat at lunch and dinner time (if you are reading this, please leave suggestions on what healthy foods you eat for lunch or dinner). 
  • I am still in the same size clothes. But hey, they do have enough room for me to get my thumbs in the waistband and pull the waistband out slightly. 
Overall, this journey has been an exceptional one and although it is going to get harder I am ready for the challenge because ti is something I want to go through, I want to make a change for the better and January (with a loss of 8.6 pounds) shows that I am more than dedicated. February can only bring better things.

Again, as January came to a close, thank you for following me on this journey. Feel free to follow this blog, follow me on Instagram or Twitter. As a final note, good luck on your weight loss journey!!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your weight loss journey!! It is tough to start and continue but losing 8.6 lbs is a fabulous start. It is amazing how the non scale victories begin to add up and you really notice them. You should keep a log of the NSV's so that when you are in a funk, you can go back and look at them and get that motivation and extra boost to continue going.

    I have always enjoyed sweets but I have noticed on my weight loss journey that I am not into breads/grains as much as I once was. I used to eat a lot of bread and potatoes and now it is a chore to eat breads/grains in my diet.

    Sweets are my weakness as well, I always have ice cream in the freezer and since I love to cook/bake I am always making sweets and keeping them in the house.

    As for needing new foods, I do not know if you live on campus or not but on my blog I have recipe tabs that I keep updating as I try new recipes. I started my weight loss after I graduated college since it was easier to do when I am home and have access to a kitchen.

    Clothing, it took a while to come off. I have lost one pant size even after losing 45 lbs. Be patient because you will notice some of your clothing will start to get looser and before you know it all of your clothes will be too big. I am to the point that I am giving a bag of clothes to good will every month. I have no clothes. It will be awesome when you begin seeing those changes in your clothing.

    Be patient and continue to work hard and you will see results!! Good luck, I am following your blog to keep up to date. I am cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! I do live at home (and commute to school) so it is definitely no problem to fix foods at home to take with me as lunch, etc. It is also a great idea to keep a log of those non scale victories because it can be great motivation!

    ReplyDelete