Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Top Workout Attire Picks

I love to buy workout clothes. I tell my mom everyday that I wish I could wear workout clothes every single day of the week but (sadly) that cannot happen. Therefore, when it comes to workout attire, I have to make sure what I am purchasing will actually work for me.

By saying 'work for me' I mean:

  • They will be long enough for my legs OR have enough room at the ankles (if they are leggings) that I can scrunch them up a little to make them into pants that stop a little higher
  • They must come in capri length as well 
  • They must stretch in the waist (have elastic)
  • They must fit my hips and rear end (I have often been told that I have the largest rear end in the family, not sure how to take that at times; but what I do know, is that there are a lot of clothes I would like to wear, but they do not look good back there)
  • They must allow my body to breath (no velour, nothing so tight my thighs feel constricted, etc.)
  • Above all, I must feel comfortable in them
If I can find workout attire that meets all of my needs, I am all for it. Some places have been hits others have been misses. Two places that actually work for me are Old Navy and JCPenney. 

I am not sure what it is about these two stores, other than the fact that they do make plus size friendly attire (JCP used to do that all the time, now I am having a hard time finding much of anything in there), and their workout sections aren't too shabby either. 

I am not employed at either of these retailers or any of their affiliates so I cannot tell you whether or not there are more sizes available, upcoming sales or anything similar in nature. 

Price's
Old Navy's prices are pretty reasonable. One look at their website and it shows items ranging from $5.99 -$34.94; JCPenney's Xersion line runs from $8.99 - $23.99 (many of which were on sale). When it comes to regular prices, the clearance rack may become your best friend until things come back to their reasonable sales prices. 

Sizes
Old Navy attire goes up to a size XXL while JCP's go beyond a 3X. This is one of the things I like most about these products, they come in extended sizes.

Style
Both retailers offer a range of capris (some of which are compression), leggings, running shorts, biking shorts, etc. Tanks, shirts, jackets, etc. 
 
Durability
I have had my Old Navy workout pants for years and they are still holding up as if I had purchased them yesterday. They fit nicely and there is no fading. JCP's quality is similar although some of their capris are on the thin side and if you happen to bend over in the sunlight, be prepared, because people can see what kind (and any design) of underwear you are wearing (I have been there before and trust me it makes you a tad self conscious). If you thighs rub together, as mind do, you may get that annoying area where it looks like tiny balls of fabric on your pants where you thighs are in fact rubbing together (talk about making it obvious) these brands eliminate that. As far as shirts, I don't own any from Old Navy other than tanks; and they are a nice length and allow for a lot of movement. Shirts from JCP are also a nice length and a nice breathable material. 

These are some of the things that I look for when it comes to picking out workout attire and these are the two main places that I have been able to find things that actually work for my body. 

No comments:

Post a Comment