Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Food Swap

I posted another question on MyFitnessPal today (I enjoy interacting with people on there and answering their questions while asking some of my own) and the more I thought about the question (I posted it this morning) the more it made me think about food swaps.


Yesterday, I made it known that I had no plans on giving up chocolate. There are other foods that I wouldn't give up but I have found some healthier swaps to them.

Turkey burgers instead of hamburgers - if you take ground turkey and make them into hamburger patties, they are out of this world. Some people say that you must have an acquired taste for turkey burgers, but when you use ground turkey, they taste the same or even better. You are cutting calories but can still build your burger the same as you would normally do. 

Sweet potato fries instead of 'regular' fries - don't get me wrong, I love french fries, they are the most wonderful gift to accompany any sandwich but they can come loaded with excess calories. A quick swap, sweet potato fries. Slightly lower in calories but still delicious. 

Apple salad instead of pasta salad - pasta salad is delicious on a hot day but apple salad is better. It's cool, refreshing and very low in calories compared to carb heavy pasta. Cut up a few apples, grab some mayo, raisins, pecans (or anything else you want to throw in there); add all ingredients into a bowl and mix. A splash of lemon juice is also tasty in this (just not too much). 

Grilled chicken instead of fried chicken - still tasty but if you can't let go of fried chicken, fix it oven fried style. Still the same great taste, just not all of the grease. 

These are just some of the food swaps that I have made in the past and I don't regret doing so. You still get the same great taste just fewer calories. Making a swap here and there can lead to a lifestyle of changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment