Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Food Swapping

Summertime is the perfect time to pull out the grill and the 4th of July is no exception. Since tomorrow is Independence Day, it should also be the one day that we can declare our independence from foods that may have been holding us back.

Here are some of the food swaps I plan on making tomorrow:

  • Turkey burger instead of a regular burger. I am not just talking about the frozen turkey burger patty you can buy, I am talking about lean ground turkey shaped into patties and thrown on the grill. Of course, it will be topped with all of my favorite condiments, but that is okay, because I am cutting out some calories by using ground turkey. 
  • Spaghetti salad instead of potato salad. I am not sure what the difference in calories will be, but a little spaghetti salad can go a long way therefore I don't have to load my plate up with a lot of carbs. As a bonus spaghetti salad has more veggies in it than potato salad does. 
  • Corn instead of baked beans. Baked beans are delicious, but they fill me up too quickly. Therefore, by swapping them out for an ear of corn, I am replacing a lot of calories with a veggie.
These are the main swaps I plan on making and while it may not seem like much, I will definitely be saving some calories. When it comes to dessert, it will be hot and from what I hear, key lime pie is on the menu. For once, I won't feel like I have to bargain with myself to eat it because I have shaved off some significant calories during the main course.

Another huge calorie saver that is worth trying is to taste a little of everything. It may seem like a lot, but a half of spoonful of everything can help save calories. You are still tasting everything, but you are not consuming all of those calories.

No matter what you eat, remember that it is a celebration and during a celebration you are supposed to enjoy good food (whether healthy or not). One day of good eating never hurt anyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment