Sunday, March 24, 2013

Overcoming Challenges


Yesterday, while out shopping, I picked up a rubber duck. Why you ask, it was only $1 and very cute (plus, purchasing it allowed me to get a coupon from Old Navy). Of course, I had no idea what I was going to do with the duck so I just sat it on the cabinet in my bathroom. It wasn't until last night when I realized that duck may have actually been brought into my life for a purpose.

Just as a little child would, I filled the sink with water and allowed the duck to float a while. That is when it hit me. We are very small against our biggest challenges, yet we have the power to overcome them. The duck, who of course was “smaller” than all the water that filled the sink, never sank, it just floated along on top of the water (it overcame its biggest challenge).

Last week, I was stressed from one of my classes (stressed from one of the exams in the class) but I overcame it because I gave it my all and didn’t let it overtake me. Each week I am tempted by something but I overcome that temptation, by diverting my attention to something healthier.

On this journey, there are times when we are going to feel small compared to what we are seeking (our goal weight, non-scale victories, etc.) but we can overcome what is thrown our way. One thing that I am slowly learning is that although there will be stressful times, there will always be something to combat that stress; because I (and you) will never be too small to overcome our biggest challenges. 

2 comments:

  1. This is a lesson that I am still learning. Sometimes what I am trying to accomplish seems so gargantuan that it feels impossible. I often have to remind myself to take it in little steps, or I won't get there at all. And, by the way, that is a cute duck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the first thing my mind thinks is that I cannot overcome my challenges and that is when I don't put forth my best effort. When I actually try I realize that what I thought was a major challenge, was just a little speed bump and it wasn't as big as it may seem. I know, I thought the same thing when I saw this duck (which is identical to mine, mine just doesn't photograph well).

      Delete