Tuesday, March 5, 2013

This Is Tough

When it comes to losing weight, I wish I could drink a magic potion or snap my fingers one day and the next day all the weight is off. Sadly, that is not how it works (but boy do I wish it did work that way). Losing weight is tough because it doesn't happen overnight, its takes time and it takes hard work.

I say losing weight is tough because it is. Have you ever heard someone tell you that they lost the weight easily and with no trouble? Some may tell you that but not all. There are times when you work yourself as hard as you possibly can in the gym and never feel like you are achieving the results that you desire. That is to be expected.

 Today I tried a new routine, doing the elliptical first, followed by the treadmill. In my previous attempts on the elliptical, I would give up after about 5 minutes and tell myself that was just my cool down (from my workout on the treadmill). Today I decided to put all my energy into the elliptical because I wanted to complete more than 5 minutes. When I got on, I told myself that I was going to push through that exercise no matter what.

I had been on for 2 minutes and realized that this should be a piece of cake since my mind was distracted by the television (I always catch up on Boy Meets World re-runs). By the time I hit 5 minutes I wanted to get off because I thought I was going to kill myself (somehow my foot slid back slightly (which meant it was closer to being off the edge of the machine) and my time at the gym flashed before my eyes in one quick blur) but I told myself that one day I would have to stay on this machine for 20 minutes and the sooner I got it over with the better.

I fought through that workout because I wanted it most importantly because I needed it. I have a goal that I want to accomplish, to reach a weight that I think is healthy for me and to feel better about myself in the process.

As much as I wanted to get off of that elliptical, I wanted to stay on. I was sweating, I was tired, my legs hurt, there were so many excuses I could have given up and gotten off of that elliptical but the one thing that was keeping me on the elliptical was the fact that I want to succeed in reaching my goal.

Losing weight will never be easy, but what in life is easy? This is something that you have to fight through. I have to fight through the sweat, the pain and the moments where I feel that I am wasting my time on this journey before I realize how far I have come. I didn't put this weight on overnight and it won't come off overnight.

This journey will be hard but when I reach my goal I can look back and see what obstacles (lack of motivation, sweets, carbs) I had to overcome to get to where I wanted to be. One day I will reach my goal, I am not sure when that day will be, but it will be worth the wait.

2 comments:

  1. I fully agree with you! My weight loss journey has not been easy as I am not a fan of exercising and love food! I have started doing something similar to what you did by starting with my least hated machine at the gym; the elliptical! I DETEST the treadmill but I can hang on the elliptical! I do that for 30 minutes and then move on to something else such as the bike. Oh and I also LOVE Boy Meets World! It's my favorite show! lol

    www.carbsdontkillmyvibe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was definitely better for me to start on a machine that was well loved and one that I knew I could conquer. I am still waiting to tackle the stair climber (that won't be for another month or so). So glad to hear of another Boy Meets World fan (can't wait to see Girl Meets World). Great blog by the way, keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete