Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Portion Control


In my post yesterday I talked about why I feel this weight loss journey is tough. Everyone will have their own reasons as to why it is or is not tough but I wanted to continue talking about another aspect of weight loss, food or better yet portion control.

Some people have high metabolisms; I on the other hand am not one of those people. I wish I could eat all the food I wanted and not have to worry about gaining a pound but sadly I can’t. Therefore on this journey, portion sizes are important.

When I started this journey, I thought that a ½ cup of this and a ¼ of that would not be enough. It definitely took some getting used to and I had to get my mind in focus so I wouldn’t feel deprived of food.  I will admit that is was rough starting out because I was cutting back on what I was eating. Although it was rough starting out, it has gotten easier. One thing that I have noticed since I have been on this journey is that when I measure something out precisely (and trust me, I do it precisely or I start over from the beginning) I feel like I have too much food and am able to cut back.

I tend to use the LoseIt! barcode scanner when it comes to determining my portion size. I feel that using the barcode scanner it is easier for me because I am instantly able to see the amount of calories per serving and I can make wise decisions. I tend to double my vegetable portions, reduce my carb intake and maintain any meats that I am eating.

Although losing weight is tough, cutting back on portion sizes doesn’t have to be. Yes, it does take time, everything does; but once you get a general idea it becomes easier. Increasing water intake is also important. People always say when you first wake up you are thirsty and not hungry (I don’t know about them but I’m hungry, they may be thirsty, but my body tells me I am hungry). I try to make it a habit of finishing at least at full 1 liter CamelBak eddy during the day. At night I typically fill it up halfway and drink out of it until I fall asleep and when I first wake up.

The more water I drink the less food I am tempted to eat at one setting, I also avoid eating “useless” calories during the day by drinking water. Losing weight truly is a lifestyle change, but it is a manageable one. Like I said yesterday, it is tough but with hard work and dedication you can succeed on this journey. You have to do what is right for you, not what is right for someone else.

2 comments:

  1. Changing my thinking about portion sizes was so incredibly hard at first too. I would feel like I wasn't eating nearly enough to fill anyone. Like you've said, it just takes some time and I think my body and brain is starting to better learn how much it needs to eat.

    I've heard that the body signals hunger and thirst the same way, so still feeling hungry after a meal or between meals can be a sign of thirst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one thing that I had to get used to, letting my mind know I wasn't depriving myself of something I was eating the portion that was meant for my body. My toughest thing has been trying to figure out if I am thirst or hungry, so I just go ahead and drink water to be on the safe side so I don't get dehydrated during the day.

      Delete