Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Taking Time For Me

One of the most important things, I have yet to realize on this journey, is that I have to take time for myself. When I refer to taking time for myself, I don't just mean sitting around all day and watching television (although that is what the majority of my spring break amounted to), I am talking about dedicating at least 30 minutes to myself and doing something productive, outside of school work. By now you have probably guessed what my something product shall be, working out.

I have one particularly stressful class this semester, Accounting for Non-Business Majors, for the life of me I just can't get the material down to where I understand it and I don't get confused by the professor. Normally, this is my motivation when I go to the gym. Take all of my stress and anger that this class gives me out in my workout. By doing this I am able to go "harder" (so to say) in my workout.

Unfortunately for me, I don't have time to go to the gym everyday, I wish I did, but I don't. Therefore, I have to find ways to work around not being able to get to the gym everyday. Each month I pick up the newest edition of Shape Magazine and this month they have a really awesome workout that I can't wait to complete (during my "trial run" I did the first two exercises to test it out).

Earlier this month I told myself that on the days when I wasn't able to make it to the gym I would do this workout instead. That means I would be completing this workout on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. That is only 3 days, yet I haven't completed the exercise once. Instead, I let stress take over my body which makes me feel lousy.

Starting tomorrow, I am making a vow to myself that I will take at least 30 minutes to complete the workout featured in Shape Magazine but more importantly, I am taking those 30 minutes for myself. I need these 30 minutes out of my day if I am going to make it the next 8 weeks of the semester without having some meltdown and eating everything in sight (yes, I am an emotional eater, which is something I have gotten under control since being on this journey). 

It has taken me two months to realize that I have to take time for myself if I am going to be successful on this journey, but I am glad that I am realizing that now and still have time to put my plan in motion.

2 comments:

  1. Working out really is a great stress buster, isn't it? You are amazing for being so motivated while studying! I know how easy it is to be overwhelmed by how busy you are while studying full time. When that happens, exercise and taking time for yourself are really the first things to go. Good on you for making them a priority :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great stress buster; before I hated working out but now it's the best way to relieve stress. Thanks!! -- it takes so much dedication for me to workout when I am having a stressful week but its the only way I can relieve the stress without eating everything in sight.

    ReplyDelete