Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Non-Scale Victories

Since beginning this journey I have experienced some non-scale victories that I am happy about.

The largest non-scale victory I have been having (yes, having because it is still continuing) is a loss in inches. When I step back and look at it, I can be a pretty lazy person. I tell myself that I am going to work out, but I don't. The only days of the week where I really work out, and I dig deep in those workouts is on Wednesdays and Fridays. These are the days where I can really clear my head and I get addicted to burning more calories. I never really cut anything out of my diet, I just watch what I eat. If I want a cheeseburger and fries, I have those; but I do eat sensible meals around that. Instead of cutting foods out, I just eat them in moderation. Sometimes moderation means I don't have them at all, other times moderation means I have them once in a while. Therefore it seems that something I have been doing at the gym is paying off in a large way. I think that is really why I get a thrill out of going to the gym, a thrill that cannot even be described.

My face is getting thinner (is that even the correct term to use). If you hadn't seen me in years, you wouldn't notice, but looking in the mirror I can tell. Just as my face is getting thinner the collar bone is back. Well of course it never left, it was just hiding for a while; but now it is visible yet again.

My fingers are finally welcoming my high school class ring back. I know people probably don't even wear their rings anymore, but I would love to be able to wear mine once again and now that I can get it on with a little effort, I think in the near future I will be able to wear it comfortably again (of course by that time, I won't want to wear it).

My endurance is also up. I can last on a machine longer and with a harder intensity than I could when I first started this journey. Although my endurance is up, I can not do a push up for anything. When I played softball, I did my version of a modified push up, where my butt stayed in the air and I looked like a bird pecking for food; of course I became known for that and to this day I still do it the same way, except my butt stays level and I no longer look like I am pecking for food. This is one non-scale victory I hope to accomplish in the future, to be able to do an actual push up. I also wish I could last longer on workout DVDs but that will be another non-scale victory in the future I hope.

Just to give you a break from all of that reading:


 
Says the person who doesn't even have an iPhone because I refuse to give up my android.

Back to these NSV's:

My workout clothes are getting looser. If I could live in my workout attire I would. It's all I want to wear and lately it is very rare that I am in anything other than them (unless it is a Sunday or I have a presentation for class), I am convinced in my mind that if I wear them and need to run by the gym on my way home, I can and won't have to worry about changing clothes. But, it is a good feeling when clothes that once fit you, have gotten looser. On the other hand, that means I will eventually have to purchase new ones.

I am happier. I have not been able to wrap my head around what I am seeing on the scale or on the tape measure but just thinking about it makes me happy (I know that's a contradiction sense I can't wrap my head around it) to know that what I am doing is paying off.

Even if it is taking longer than I would like; I didn't put this weight on overnight and it won't come off overnight which means that I have to be patient. The numbers on the scales may go up from a gain in muscle, but as long as I continue having these NSV's I will be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment