Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor Review

Earlier in my weight loss journey I set my sights on a Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor but I wasn't sure if it was worth the $89.99 price tag. So, I sat on the decision for a couple of months trying to figure out if  (when) I purchased it, would I use it until it wore out or would I purchase it, use it a couple of times and then leave it sitting on my dresser.

In the meantime I went ahead a purchased a cheaper heart rate monitor on clearance from Target to "test the waters", I knew if I enjoyed using a cheaper heart rate monitor I would love using one that came with a price tag worth double checking.

This Saturday, I purchased my Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor and I am absolutely in love with it. I purchased the pink/purple monitor (I loved the gray one but for some reason I thought because it had a man on the packaging, it was meant for a man - now that I think about it, I can't believe I actually asked that question out loud to my mom in the store) and couldn't be happier. It's a great color that makes you happy when you wear it and it actually makes me want to workout.

I have only used the Polar FT4 for 5 days so far, but I am impressed. Some of the things I like so far:

  • Both the monitor and the chest strap are comfortable enough to wear all day even if you aren't working out. Another bonus is that you can wear the strap without the Polar sensor (it snaps off).
  • You wet the sensors on the strap by running them under water. My previous HRM required saliva or some gel to activate the sensors.
  • The HRM syncs with machines at the gym. I am not sure if it technically considered syncing but while working out today, my heart rate displayed on the machine and on the Polar FT4 were the exact same.
  • Your workouts are stored.
  • The batteries are replaceable.
The only con I have so far is that the model I purchased doesn't tell you the percentage of fat you are burning, but I can definitely live without that.


Using the Polar FT4 over the course of 5 days has made me realize that I shouldn't have waited so long to purchase it. It has helped me get more out of my workouts by giving me accurate heart beats per minute, along with what I believe are accurate calories burned. You definitely get what you pay for, and I have gotten my $89.99 plus tax (and warranty) out of this product.

Below are pictures of the monitor, which if you haven't guessed by now, you should go out and purchase because it is one of the best ways to spend $89.99 while on a weight loss journey.




4 comments:

  1. The heart rate monitor is certainly a beauty! I have the Polar F60 and it tells me the percentage of fat burn during my work out. It was one of the best investments I have also ever made and I could not see myself exercising without it. Sometimes I feel lost when I am exercising and it is not on. I get panicked. I love being able to customize it and see my burns during my workout and the calories. It makes me want to challenge myself to burn more calories on the same activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have the Polar HRM, I can definitely agree that it is one of the best investments anyone can make when it comes to losing weight (or training, etc.) and I am glad that I finally purchased one. I can't imagine not having mine on at all times, mainly because I like using it for a watch as well as a HRM. Knowing the percentage of fat burned is definitely important and in future years I may add to my (what I hope will become) growing collection of Polar HRM's because they do inspire you to work longer and harder!

      Delete
  2. It's so pretty! I want one! Do you think it's more accurate than you New Balance one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think it is more accurate than my New Balance one. But since I did get the NB one for so cheap I can't really complain about it, especially since I read tons of reviews before and kind of new what I was getting myself into. With the FT4, my numbers pretty much stay in the same range. If I am resting my BPM is in the 80s, if I get up suddenly it goes to the upper 90s to lower 100s and when exercising it is in the mid 100s to upper 150s/160s (just depends on the exercise). So I definitely think that it is more accurate. I did have sticker shock at first when I started researching the Polar monitors but after using it I can definitely tell that you are getting what you paid for and so much more out of this device & they come in cute colors, what could be better! :)

      Delete